- The surface web enables most online users to browse content. But, what is the surface web? It is that part of the internet that enables indexing of sites by popular search engines and viewing of sites with the help of traditional browsers. The dark web, on the other hand, contains hidden layers of content which can be explored by the users with the help of a special browser named The Onion Router (Tor). In the dark web, both legal and illegal activities are carried out by users under the garb of an anonymous IP address. Let’s explore more about the dark web in this blog post.
- If you are curious to know everything about the dark web, you have landed on the perfect blog post.
- In this post, we will be covering all about the Dark Web: how it is different from the deep web, about the origin of the dark web, functioning of the dark web, how dark web can be used legally, how it is used illegally, advantages and disadvantages of the dark web, and ways to protect information from the dark web.
What is the Dark Web?
- The term “dark web” refers to internet information that is encrypted and not searchable by traditional search engines.
- To access the black web, you’ll need specialized browsers like Tor Browser.
- The dark web indexes information that isn’t indexed online, such as bank accounts, email accounts, and databases, to bring up websites.
- People who utilize the dark web may keep their identities hidden and freely express themselves.
- It’s also got a bad record for being linked to illegal and immoral acts.
All about the Dark Web | How is the Dark Web different from the Deep Web?
- Private email inboxes and credit card accounts cannot be indexed by search engines and are protected by security walls, verification forms, and passwords on the deep web.
- The Deep Web contains 90% of all the websites and many of these are even utilized by government and non-profit organizations. The Dark Web can be found within the Deep Web and as mentioned above, is a part of the internet that can be accessed only through the Tor browser. It is not illegal to use Tor but most internet users do not need to use the Dark Web.
Origin of the Dark Web
- Did you know the Dark Web was created when the thesis project of a University of Edinburgh student was released? Yes, that’s right and the time was in the year 2000. The student’s aim was to build a “Distributed Decentralized Information Storage and Retrieval System”. He wanted to create a unique way to share files online anonymously and this inspired the Tor project, which came out in 2002 and a browser was launched in 2008. The creation of Tor enabled users to access sites that belonged to the dark web.
Functioning of the Dark Web
- Users make use of the Dark Web for both legal and illegal purposes. The Dark Web enables anonymous usage and tracking is prevented by the use of the technology, “onion routing”.
How can the Dark Web be used legally?
- The dark web can be used for legal purposes. For example, it can be used by politicians to communicate without worrying about Government censorship. Although the dark web has added layers of protection, users should take adequate measures to stay safe and secure on the dark web. Some of these measures include updating security software and using a robust VPN to browse, among others.
How is the Dark Web used illegally?
- As it allows anonymous browsing, the dark web can also be used for illegal purposes like illegal drug and weapon trafficking, illegal buying and selling of passwords, illegal pornography trading, and other dangerous activities. Other potential dangers include cybersecurity threats and data breaches.
Advantages and Disadvantages of the Dark Web
- The Dark web helps in maintaining privacy and allows people to express their honest opinions.
- The Dark Web also helps law enforcement officers to nab criminals who take advantage of the anonymity of the dark web.
- Many people may misuse the dark web and use the same for indulging in criminal activities.
- It can also be used to flout privacy norms and steal private data and information.
Ways to protect information from the Dark Web
- When there is a will there’s a way. If you wish to protect information from the dark web, you can easily do so by performing the following steps:
- Use the two-step verification process in addition to enabling password protection, to secure all online accounts.
- Continuously monitor your credit and enable alerts for inquiries.
- Change your password frequently and ensure the passwords of each account are different from one another.
- Be prepared to freeze accounts or alert relevant authorities in case of a data or security breach.
- Scan the Dark Web and check if your information has already been leaked in the Dark Web.