- From “FaceMash” to “The Facebook” to “Facebook”, Facebook’s name changes are known to all. But, the company has not stopped here and gone so far as to rebrand itself yet again. This time, the name is Meta Inc., which owns the popular social networking platform, Facebook, among other companies. But, we are not going to talk about Facebook’s rebranding in this blog post. Rather, the complete focus will be on the top companies that Meta owns.
- If you are an online user interested in knowing about Meta’s acquisitions, you will find this blog post interesting.
- In this blog post, we will talk about the importance of acquisitions in Meta’s growth and the top companies that Meta owns.
Importance of Acquisitions in Meta’s growth
- Meta boasts $2.8 billion users and a market capitalization of $926.8 billion. Meta earns most of its revenue through advertisements. However, it has also earned a lot from acquisitions. Meta’s products range from messenger services to media sharing platforms to Augmented Reality, and many more. Whenever a rival showed signs of being bigger than Meta, it thwarted the rival’s efforts by buying it out. This has led to some high-profile acquisitions worth billions of dollars. But, which are the top companies that Meta owns? Let us explore the same in the next section.
Table of Top Companies Owned By Meta
|Top Companies Owned by Meta||Date of Acquire Companies of Meta and latest Project detail|
|MENLO PARK, CALIFORNIA (April 9, 2012) – Facebook has agreed to buy Instagram, a popular photo-sharing program for mobile devices, |
according to a press release.
|It’s tough for an acquisition to create a mark in Silicon Valley since there’s so much money floating around. WhatsApp was acquired by Meta (FB), formerly Facebook,|
in 2014, surpassing Google’s $3.2 billion purchase of Nest Labs and Apple’s $3 billion purchase of Beats Electronics to become one of the largest digital purchases of all time. 12
|Oculus VR||The latest purchase comes after Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg underlined the importance of fitness in the evolution of the company’s virtual reality segment at the Meta Connect conference earlier this week.|
Next year, the business plans to release fitness gear that will work in conjunction with the Meta Quest headset.
|Onavo||Meta acquired Onavo in October 2013|
|Beluga||“We’ve appreciated all of our users’ enthusiasm and fantastic comments since launching Beluga,” the company’s three founders said. “We’re excited to continue to develop our vision for mobile group messaging as part of the Facebook team.”|
- What is the Dark Web? and all about the Dark Web
- All about the JioPhone Next made with Google
- World’s Top 10 Most Valuable Companies
- List of Total Acquisitions of Facebook (Meta)
List of the Top Companies Owned by Meta
Here’s the List:
1) Instagram –
- This popular photo and video sharing platform is the first name on our list of the top companies owned by Meta. Meta acquired Instagram in 2012 for an amount of $1.0 billion. As per estimates, the advertising revenue generated by Instagram is even more than that of Meta. At the time of the acquisition, Meta intended to grow Instagram from its main platform, Facebook, but Instagram has always maintained its separate identity.
2) WhatsApp –
- This online free global messaging and calling app is also one of the top companies owned by Meta. With the help of WhatsApp, users can send and receive messages and calls for free. Users can even send photos, videos, and documents using WhatsApp. Meta acquired WhatsApp for a jaw-dropping amount of $19.0 billion at a time when WhatsApp had 400 million active monthly users thus making it a strong rival to Meta, erstwhile Facebook. The revenue that WhatsApp generates currently is not clearly known but as per some estimates, it is around $5 billion.
3) Oculus VR –
- This virtual reality-based hardware and Software Company is also one of the top companies owned by Meta. Meta acquired Oculus VR just after it had acquired WhatsApp. The company became popular because of its virtual reality headset, Oculus Rift that was designed for gaming purposes. Oculus VR has also acquired a number of companies. With the acquisition of Oculus VR, Meta entered the world of Virtual Reality which was becoming extensively popular at the time of the acquisition.
4) Onavo –
- This Israeli company is known for performing web analytics to determine the usage of mobile apps. Meta acquired Onavo in October 2013, but the cost of the acquisition is not known. As per some estimates, it falls between $100 million and $200 million. It is believed that Meta, erstwhile Facebook, used Onavo’s analytics data to decide on crucial acquisitions. Meta faced criticism for acquiring Onavo as it was touted as spyware and the result was that Meta had to remove Onavo from iOS and Android App stores.
5) Beluga –
- This messaging app service must be mentioned while talking about the top companies owned by Meta. Meta acquired Beluga to use its technology for building its popular Messenger platform. The amount that Beluga was acquired for, is not known.
- These were the top companies that Meta owns as of 2021. We are sure Meta is going to include more companies under its umbrella to expand its brand. But, it is debatable whether Facebook’s tactic to eliminate competition is appropriate or not. However, online users have nothing to worry about as they are the ones who are gaining in the process. How? Well, we are introduced to new apps and services with every acquisition of Meta. What else can we ask for? However, we believe Meta should focus on making all its platforms safe and secure for users so that users’ privacy is maintained. A data breach is the last thing that we, the users, want while using our favorite app. Isn’t it?