August 19, 2022
Shazam turns 20
Shazam turns 20 today, so that as of the week, it offers formally surpassed 70 billion track recognitions. A mainstay in popular tradition, the working platform changed how individuals build relationships music by simply making track recognition available to everybody. For longer than 225 million international month-to-month users, to “Shazam” should find out one thing brand new.
To mark the event, Shazam invites fans to journey down memory lane having a unique playlist composed of the absolute most Shazamed track of every season the previous two decades. Featuring sets from Train’s “Hey, Soul Sister” to Sia’s “Cheap Thrills,” the playlist actually real expression of music fans around the world earnestly sought out in the last 2 full decades. Pay attention now solely on Apple Music.
Over the years, Shazam’s international maps have actually played a vital role in assisting to determine breaking brand new skill like Masked Wolf, who was simply certainly one of Shazam’s 5 Artists to view in 2021 and wound up obtaining the many Shazamed track globally that 12 months with “Astronaut into the Ocean.”
“the truth that individuals all over the globe took periods of the time to grab their phone and Shazam my tracks actually huge honor for me personally being an musician,” stated Masked Wolf. “You understand you’ve got one thing unique if you notice the Shazam stats going.”
Shazam’s maps have develop into a barometer for unforeseen pop music tradition moments. Kate Bush’s 1985 track “Running Up That Hill” being showcased in “Stranger Things” resulted in an all-time top in Shazams of singer, and also the track took number 1 regarding Shazam worldwide Top 200 for 10 times. It wound up achieving the top of 25 nationwide maps — significantly more than just about any track in 2022.
Keeping its hand regarding pulse of music, Shazam in addition has played an integral part in bringing neighborhood music artists up to a international market. The longest-running international number 1 track of 2021 ended up being “Love Nwantiti [Remix]” by Nigerian musician CKay, which became the next track to ever surpass one million Shazams in weekly.
“Shazam has played an impactful part within my job,” stated CKay. “It permitted huge numbers of people all over the globe to see me personally and my unique Nigerian noise. It made me personally an international feeling also before We began to perform all over the globe. The tale of CKay may not be told without Shazam linking me personally towards the globe.”
With its proceeded dedication to innovation in the last 2 full decades, Shazam is pioneering brand new methods to bring fans nearer to the songs and music artists they love with brand new tools such as the concert breakthrough function, which spotlights concert information and seats for sale for programs nearby, by just Shazaming a track, or by trying to find it within the Shazam software or site.
While Shazam continues to be centered on the continuing future of music breakthrough, today’s anniversary provides an possibility to look straight back at notable moments and milestones that define its two-decade history.
- August 2002: Shazam launches being a text solution located in great britain. At that time, users could recognize tracks by dialing “2580” on the phone and keeping it being a track played. They certainly were then delivered an SMS message telling them the track name and also the title of musician.
- July 2008: Shazam launches regarding new App shop. Shazam later on established its Android os variation in October 2008.
- April 2015: Shazam becomes on the very first Apple Watch.
- September 2018: Shazam joins the Apple household.
- June 2021: Shazam surpasses 1 billion Shazams monthly.
- May 2022: Shazam surpasses 2 billion life time installs.
- August 2022: Shazam celebrates two decades of music breakthrough and strikes 70 billion all-time Shazams.
- First-ever Shazamed track: “Jeepster” by T. Rex (April 19, 2002)1
- First Shazamed track regarding iOS app: “How have always been we various” by Aimee Mann (July 10, 2008)
- First track to attain 1,000 Shazams: “Cleanin’ Out My cabinet” by Eminem (September 2002)
- First track to attain one million Shazams: “TiK ToK” by Ke$ha (February 2010)
- First track to attain 10 million Shazams: “Somebody That we accustomed understand” by Gotye feat. Kimbra (December 2012)
- First track to attain 20 million Shazams: “Prayer In C (Robin Schulz broadcast Edit)” by Lilly Wood & The Prick and Robin Schulz (October 2015)
- First musician hitting 1 million Shazams: Lil Wayne (February 2009)
- First musician hitting 10 million Shazams: Lil Wayne (June 2011)
- First musician hitting 100 million Shazams: David Guetta (might 2015)
Fastest songs to build up Shazams
- Fastest track to attain 1 million Shazams: “Butter” by BTS (nine times)
- Fastest track to attain 10 million Shazams: “Shape of You” by Ed Sheeran (87 times)
- Fastest track to attain 20 million Shazams: “Dance Monkey” by Tones and I also (219 times)
Most Shazamed of all of the Time
- Drake is considered the most Shazamed musician of them all with more than 350 million Shazams across tracks the musician has led or showcased on. “One Dance” is Drake’s preferred track at over 17 million Shazams.
- “Dance Monkey” by Tones And I is considered the most Shazamed track ever with more than 41 million Shazams.
- “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley ended up being the absolute most Shazamed track utilizing the “2580” text solution.
Top Shazamed Songs by Genre
- Top Hip-Hop/Rap: “Can’t Hold Us” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton
- Top party: “Prayer In C (Robin Schulz broadcast Edit)” by Lilly Wood & The Prick and Robin Schulz
- Top R&B/Soul: “All of Me” by John Legend
- Top Latin: “Mi Gente” by J Balvin and Willy William
- Top Pop: “Let the woman Go” by traveler
- Top alternate: “Dance Monkey” by Tones And I
- Top Singer/Songwriter: “simply take me personally to Church” by Hozier
- The very first Shazamed track utilized the service’s prelaunch general public beta.
Apple Media Helpline