- You must be aware of Razer’s popular Zephyr mask which costs $100. But, with the announcement of Zephyr Pro last week, a series of claims have surfaced about Razer overstating the protection of its Zephyr mask. Razer has responded to such claims by removing “N95-grade” from the page of the product as recently as last week itself.
- If you want to know more about the news on the Razer mask, we suggest you read this blog post till the end.
- In this post, we will be covering the news on the Razer mask no longer carrying the “N95-grade” filters claim.
About the Razer Mask
- The term, Razer N95 was used synonymously to the mask by Zephyr because Razer had mentioned ‘N95-grade’ filters in many places to refer to the filtration process and the importance of its replaceable filters. The filters were touted as N95-grade due to their 99% bacterial filtration efficiency (BFE). Razer has removed the term, N95-grade’ filters and instead uses ‘air purification filters’ for the Razer mask. As per Razer’s claims, it passed the 95% particulate filtration efficiency threshold during testing but in reality, the whole mask, including the filters, would have to filter 95% of particles to be of N95-grade. Not only that, but the Zephyr mask would also have to clear the regulators’ tests.
- Razer has not provided any official statement on removing the mention of ‘N95-grade’ filters from the description of its mask. As per a tweet made by the company on Saturday, the Zephyr Razer mask and the Zephyr Razer Pro masks should not be treated as medical devices or surgical masks, or even personal protective equipment (PPE). The company also said that the Razer masks are not meant for medical or clinical use.
- As far as altering controversial information on its site is concerned, Zephyr had done the same previously too. Previously in its FAQ section, Zephyr had mentioned that its mask could be considered as a surgical mask, PPE, or medical device. It claimed so due to the Razer mask’s 99% BFE rating. It now claims that the Zephyr Razer mask and the Zephyr Razer Pro masks should not be treated as medical devices or surgical masks, or even personal protective equipment (PPE). The company now also claims that its masks are not meant for medical or clinical use.
- Although Zephyr has run its Razer mask through internal tests, it needs to undergo external tests by external bodies for helping people trust the product. These external tests should be run for the Zephyr Pro mask as well. What is the Zephyr Pro mask? It is a ramped-up version of the Zephyr mask that has voice amplification and is going to be launched in 2022.
- How to pre-order the PS5 Pink/Blue/Purple in Controller
- Best Upcoming PS5 Games for 2022
- Windows 11 22H2 Latest Update of Sun Valley 2
- Reports suggest that Razer removed the mentions of the N95-grade filters from its Razer mask due to pressure from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and NIOSH but the company has strongly refuted the claims. Razer said it had not received any instructions from external agencies and the change was done to remove any confusion that customers may have regarding the certification of the mask.
- The change in the description of the Zephyr mask comes at a time when public health officials of various countries have instructed the public to wear N95 and KN95 masks instead of cloth masks as the former ones are said to provide better protection against the Omicron variant.
- N95 masks have become a necessity in the current situation when the number of COVID cases has gone up again after a slump period. Hospitals are on the verge of burning out. The new variants of COVID – Omicron and Delta – are said to be highly contagious. In such a situation only N95 masks can provide the best protection. Now that Zephyr has removed mentions of ‘N95-grade’ filters from its Razer mask, the search for a good N95 mask has begun. You have to check if external agencies have certified the masks that you purchase. Only then you can trust them.