- In this day and age, cybersecurity is an important topic that cannot be ignored. Using social media accounts has become a normal thing. But, falling victim to data breaches and cyber-attacks has also become normal, unfortunately so. The question is, “Is there/ Are there way/ways to protect our social media accounts from falling in the hands of hackers?” The answer is, “There is/ are.” That is what the topic of our current blog post is about.
- If your life depends on social media, you should definitely read this blog post till the end.
- In this blog post, you will be learning the ways of securing social media accounts from hackers and hacking attacks.
- Best Environment-friendly Cryptocurrencies
- Best Dating App in India
- All about Netflix Video Games
- The Future of Metaverse and Web 2.0
Ways to secure social media accounts from hackers
- Here in this section, you will learn how to secure social media accounts from hackers in the form of some ways by which securing social media accounts from hackers will become easy. Here are the ways:
1) By using a strong password –
- Using a strong password is the first way to secure social media accounts from hackers. Password managers can also help in securing social media accounts from hackers. What is meant by a “Strong Password”? By that, it means a password that has upper case letters, lower case letters, symbols, and numbers. Taking help from advanced password managers will also help secure social media accounts from cyberattacks.
2) By changing passwords based on a schedule –
- The next way to secure social media accounts from hackers is to change passwords regularly. You can do the same by following a schedule and changing passwords after every 60 days or 90 days. In case you find your social media accounts fall victim to a hacking attack, you will need to go for a password change on an immediate basis.
3) By utilizing the two-factor verification process –
- Utilising the two-factor verification process for every social media account is the next way to secure social media accounts from hackers and hacking attacks. There are many apps that allow utilization of the two-factor verification process. What does having a two-factor verification process mean? It means being able to access your account by using a way other than using passwords. The two-factor verification process includes verification using email, phone call, or a message before entering the social media account. If you utilize the advanced verification process, you may even be required to verify using a voice command or a fingerprint.
4) By using a strong VPN –
- The next way to secure social media accounts from hackers is to use a strong VPN. How will a strong VPN help you? It will help you by letting you be anonymous and hiding your IP address thus ensuring privacy. This way your online actions will be difficult to trace and your social media accounts will be safe from cyberattacks.
5) By avoiding putting up personal information online –
- This is a very important way that should be used to secure social media accounts from hackers. Putting up personal information like phone number, email address, home address, birthday, etc., online increases the chances of such information being hacked and stolen. Therefore, putting up personal information online should be avoided at all costs to maintain privacy. Also, it is better to sign out of social media accounts when they are not in use and avoid copying and pasting passwords. This way security and privacy of social media accounts will be maintained.
6) By using a Secondary Email Address –
- Email addresses are prone to be stolen and that can lead to hacking of social media accounts by hackers. Therefore, using a secondary email address in such cases will come in handy for securing social media accounts from hackers.
7) By avoiding phishing emails –
- Avoiding emails that contain unknown links is the next way to secure social media accounts from hackers. Clicking on such links can lead to important information being stolen. Therefore, you need to avoid that at any cost, even if the email looks convincing. One way of testing that the links are not used for phishing is by hovering the cursor over the URL to ensure that the link and the text on the screen match with each other.
- By following the above ways, you will ensure your social media accounts are secure and prevent them from falling into the hands of hackers. Your online privacy is in your hands, therefore, you should take adequate steps to maintain the same.