- We have an interesting piece of information for you. Facebook was rechristened to Meta on October 28, 2021, at the Facebook Connect 2021 event. Yes, that’s true and No, we are not joking. We know, you have a volley of questions to ask regarding the “rechristening”. Don’t worry, we will provide you with all the information that you need to know about the same.
- If you are an online user, you must be aware of Facebook’s rebranding as it is a big move on the part of the social media platform.
- In this post, we will be covering all that you need to know about Facebook’s new name, Meta. Let’s start without much ado.
All that you need to know about Facebook’s new name, Meta
- As we have already mentioned, the rebranding was announced at Facebook’s Connect 2021 event that was held on October 28, 2021. CEO of the social media giant, Mark Zuckerberg threw light on the company’s aim to build a virtual world, “Metaverse”. Metaverse is supposed to be a technological revolution much like what mobile internet was, a few years ago. Facebook wants users to have a futuristic outlook, hence the step to rebrand was taken. The rebranding of Facebook to “Meta” comes at a time when the social media platform is mired in controversy owing to an allegation made by a whistleblower regarding Facebook’s ignorance to hate speech for profit. The “rebranding” move is supposed to be an attempt to divert people’s attention from controversies to futuristic technologies.
All about Facebook revealed about the Metaverse
- Facebook’s CEO, Mark Zuckerberg sees the existence of digital worlds in the future that will enable users to connect with each other in a world known as the “metaverse”. According to Zuckerberg, if metaverse is made a reality, it will boast a million people, provide jobs for millions of creators and developers, and host digital commerce worth hundreds of billions of dollars. That is extremely ambitious for sure.
- If you are as ambitious as Mark Zuckerberg, you may ask, “Where are we now as far as the creation of the metaverse is concerned”. Well, the creation is in progress and there is still a lot to be done. The October 28th event also saw the unveiling of a host of new software tools, among which mention must be made of the technology that will enable users to have control over programs with the help of their hands or voice. Facebook has also promised to present more hardware offerings.
- Other announcements that were made include plans to introduce a Horizon marketplace and a more extensive multiverse economy capable of supporting AR, VR, and other modern gadget-based experiences. Zuckerberg also threw light on the fact that people will be able to build their own virtual home space and workrooms on the home section of the Horizon.
- Zuckerberg also explained how he sees people playing and working in the future, in the metaverse. Other announcements regarding hardware and software offerings were also made at the Facebook Connect 2021 event. From Zuckerberg’s announcements, we also got to know about Cambria, the company’s newest offering which is a modern virtual reality headset. What is Cambria capable of doing? It will give you a “realistic” feeling of being in a virtual reality-enabled world by bringing a screen up close. Pardon us for our paradoxical example! But, wait! There’s more. The VR-enabled headset is also capable of gauging the emotions of the person who wears it.
- In addition to the social media giant’s rebranding, other name changes include the change of the name of the Oculus Quest to Meta Quest and the change of the name of the Facebook Portal video device to “Meta Portal”. These changes are soon to take place.
- The announcements made by Facebook do not at all stop here. Facebook is working on the development of AR-enabled smart glasses. The company is also planning to put its camera and sensor-studded Project Aria research glasses to test. These glasses will be put to test in neural input wristbands and in cars.
- If you think the announcements made at the Facebook Connect 2021 event are over, you are wrong. That’s because there is more that you should know. As per Meta, new apps are soon to be launched by several partners. Facebook has joined hands with the game developer, Rockstar Games to re-introduce the Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas game on Oculus Quest 2 in VR.
- These were the announcements made at the Facebook Connect 2021 event. Only time will tell if Facebook’s new name proves to be a boon for it or a bane.